What makes the Classic Update series harness kit better than the competition?
The Classic Update Series design philosophy is to build complete “full function” systems and engineer them for easy access, easy installation, and connectivity with common update accessories. All while allowing for future expansion. Each kit is a completely new design engineered around the specifications and physical dimensions of the 47-54 trucks as well as the space constraints imposed by many after market accessories vying for the limited space under the dash. Superior design has given the builder complete flexibility to use original stock switches and components as well as custom update accessories, such as; DAKOTA DIGITAL instruments, heat and air conditioning systems, IDIDIT and FLAMING RIVER steering columns, and late model GM tilt steering columns. The fuse box was chosen for its adaptability in mounting configurations and its ability to handle the increased current loads demanded by power accessories such as power windows, power seats, power door locks, cruise control, etc. It is a proven GM design that incorporates heavy duty circuit bussing. There is no circuit board in this high power fuse box assembly as the potential power demands are too high for a circuit board design. It is this attention to detail that removes the engineering exercise from the builder and makes installation much smoother.
1. Accessory disconnect provided for connections to power windows, power seats, cruise control, fuel pump, power door locks, extra radio (CB), or optional power accessory.
2. New floor dimmer switch is provided. Wire length and connection accommodate original floor mount dimmer switch.
3. Standard turn signal flasher, hazard flasher, and horn relay mounted on fuse panel.
4. Fuse box and custom mounting plate are designed for bolt-in under dash installation. All required hardware supplied. Location selected for easy accessibility and clearance of under dash accessories such as all gauge packages, wiper systems, heating and air conditioning systems, and stock original or aftermarket GM tilt steering columns.
5. Steering column connectors will plug directly into most aftermarket steering columns as well as 1969 and later GM columns which utilize stock GM turn signal switches. The original column can also be wired by using the supplied mating connector and terminals.
6. Instrument Cluster wiring is designed with a "cluster harness disconnect" system for easy service and assembly. All original terminals, connectors, and light sockets are also supplied for original cluster gauges. However, the best aspect to the disconnect system is that any gauge cluster package can be easily and neatly wired in.
7. Heater control panel lighting, power, and blower motor leads are included for original style heaters as well as aftermarket heat and AC updates such as HOTROD AIR, VINTAGE AIR, etc. Connections are also wired in for the glove box and cigarette lighter.
8. Replacement headlight switch with internal circuit breaker included. Retention collar nut, adjustable length shaft, and custom knob are also included. Extra connectors and instructions are supplied for installation of original headlight switches.
9. Front lighting includes extra long leads for special routing when custom under hood appearance is desired. All headlight, park light, and directional light connectors and terminals are provided, as well as a switched trigger wire for electric fan relay (usually recommended with AC).
10. Rear body harness assembly is designed to plug into the main harness in the original position utilizing existing retainers. Flexibility in harness design allows for original or custom routing. Both pickup and suburban models are accommodated. Rear body wiring includes backup light wires and mating connectors for backup light leads. License plate lead, connectors, and terminals included. Fuel tank sender wire and terminal included. Leads and terminals included for jamb switches and dome light.
11. Engine wiring includes connectors for points type and H.E.I. distributors. Power and tach connectors supplied for GM H.E.I. distributors. Alternator connectors are supplied for GM "SI" series internal regulated and all "one wire"alternators. GM "CS" series alternator connector available separately.
12. Engine wiring includes starter and gauge sender leads for water temp, oil pressure, voltmeter, and tach. Heavy 8 gauge alternator leads are supplied. Power circuits are fusible link protected.
13. New ignition switch with mounting bezels are included. Can use original tumbler and key or use our part number 53-475. Additional connectors and instructions are provided to use the original ignition switch or column mounted ignition switch..
14. Color schematics and easy to understand installation instructions included.